Tips from ServiceMaster by Alpha Restoration in Miami, FL for water damage, fire and smoke damage, mold removal and common household cleaning (e.g., household stains).
Water Damage and Flood Damage
- Lift draperies off of the floor, loop through a coat hanger and place the hanger on the drapery rod.
- Open drawers, closet and cabinet doors to enhance drying.
- Do not enter a room with standing water until electricity has been turned off.
Fire Damage and Smoke Damage
- Keep your grill clean after every use to prevent grease fires.
- Have a bucket or water or hose ready to soak or douse any used or defective fireworks before disposing them.
- Fires are common during the holidays. Check your batteries in your smoke detectors.
- Place a bowl of vinegar out to absorb smoke odor.
Mold Removal and Mold Remediation
- Mold can cause illness, even death. Thus, contact a mold remediation provider who is licensed, such as ServiceMaster by Alpha Restoration
- Bleach does not remove mold.
- The key to mold prevention is moisture control.
- Mold thrives on moisture. Thus, if you experience water damage, dry the water out immediately. ServiceMaster by Alpha Restoration has specialized equipment that can dry any surface.
Regular Maintenance – Household Cleaning
- Use hydrogen peroxide to remove blood from clothing or furniture. Rub gently.
- Use 3 tbsp of TSP (trisodium phosphate) to a gallon of water to clean scuff marks or crayon marks off walls. Wear gloves
- Hair spray will remove magic-marker ink from surfaces.
- Gum can be removed using ice to harden and a dull knife to remove.
- Use paint brushes to dust cracks and hard to reach places in telephones, stereos, etc.